Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jim Kline - my friend


With all that is happening in our lives, new baby, new adventures, the kids getting older I think Bill and I both feel very blessed by it all. Just like most of my "followers" have not seen my kids as babies... most of you never had the chance to meet Bill's Dad, Jim.

I write this blog for a lot of reasons. It is therapeautic and since I can't really afford therapy... expressing myself in a blog helps me to sort out thoughts and funny things rolling around inside my heart and head. To get it out on paper does this body good. I also write this blog hoping that one day I can have it printed into a scrapbook for my kids and their families. So my kids and grandkids know my heart for God, my love for my family and what God planned for me here on earth. My kids have not had the pleasure of meeting Billy's Dad (Grandpa Jim). So I am taking the time in this blog to explain a little about who he was to me and what he meant to Bill and our family.

When Bill took me "home" to meet his parents. I had no idea what to expect. I knew he was from a tiny town (population 1,000) where you could pay your groceries with your phone number and they would bill you monthly. There were two registers in the grocery store and one stop sign in town. It was tiny. If you blinked you've missed St. Ansgar, Iowa. But what I didn't know is what a special place and what special parents I was about to meet.

When I walked into their house, I could smell the faint scent of apples and cinnamon. Bill's parents were both sitting at the kitchen table when we entered the house. Both of them had these grins on their faces like they were wondering what to expect from this girl... from a big city who met and fell in love with their son in college. Being a parent now, I can only imagine that anticipation. They were so laid back. I loved it. We walked in and they greeted me with warm smiles and in their eyes I could see how happy they were to see their son home from college for a visit.

Bill's Dad drove a truck for a trucking company. I think he drove this truck all over Iowa and into Wisconsin making deliveries everywhere. He would honk his truck horn at people who were out their yard doing yardwork or outside. Even if he didn't know them, he would great them with a smile and a wave. I think it made him chuckle to see the perplexed look on their faces.

He had a smile that would light up the room and loved to joke around, be sarcastic and laugh. If he could tell you a joke to make you laugh, it made his day (Toby has the same characteristics). He drank weak coffee that was black... he told me it was because in the army they were serve it SO strong that he never wanted a strong cup of coffee again in his life. He would always ask me why I put all that "junk" in my coffee like cream and sugar (he would chuckle every time he asked me). Jim knew everyone in town.

He spent time in the mornings going to a place called Sportsman's (diner) ... he would play cards with the same guys in town in the morning (it's probably where he got all his jokes from) drink coffee eat some breakfast and just enjoy each other's company.

Jim and I also shared a love of food. He and I were the only ones to enjoy a sliced tomato with salt and eat them like they were going out of style. When we would get dinner ready he would prepare and entire plate and we would eat them in tandem. He loved to cook a big dinner. He would pray before each meal and enjoyed spending dinnertime with the family.

One other thing I remember about him was something he had passed down to Billy. He was great hugger. He let you know in just one hug how much he cared and if you were leaving town... that you would be missed. I love this about my husband and I think his Dad was a great loving man.

Bill would tell me stories about how his Dad would offer up "bean picking" services to go bean picking for a local farmer. Bill would think that he had no plans on a Saturday but his Dad would have a different plan. He would gather upa couple friends, they would wake up at the crack of dawn and go row by row picking beans. And if you talked while you did it... you were "wasting time." He had a great work ethic and instilled the same thing in my husband because of it.

He was not only a hard worker, he had a soft big heart. When Morgan (our neice and their first grandchild) was born, he stayed home with Bill's sister to help her with her first baby. His big hands would hold her so tenderly. She lit up his heart. He would change her and encourage Kathy to get out of the house and take her places. At four weeks we met them at a Perkins for the first time. Grandpa Jim was in full effect.

As I sit and write this blog about this awesome man who raised my amazing husband about six deer are walking through my yard, finches and chickadees are flying around on my porch and trees. I know Jim is in heaven living eternity with the God who created him. I pray that he watches over us and is blessed by what he sees. I know he would be so proud of my awesome husband and the man and father he has become.

Over 400 people attended Jim's funeral. He was well loved and is missed. One comment that stood out to me as people were hugging us and talking to us was that "this town will never be the same without Jim. " He was one of a kind, an awesome man, father, husband and grandfather.... and I am so happy I was blessed enough to know him and even more blessed to have married his son. Thank you God for this great man. Help him to know how much he is loved, how much we miss him and that we never forget him.

4 comments:

Jill said...

That was a very sweet tribute to your father-in-law. He sounds like he was an amazing person - someone I would've loved to have met. What a gift! And he did raise up and awesome man. Bill sounds a lot like his dad. And when I saw the picture of the little boy I knew it had to be Billy. He has the same smile! Thank you for another glimpse into your lives. A sweet start to my day :)

Jo said...

I think the tears rolling down my face say it all.

Unknown said...

Wow. I wish I could say more. But you already have. Thank you for this beautiful bit of your family.

Megan said...

What a legacy he left for you and Billy and your children. Stunning.