Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Cleaning and my Clutter catcher...



I have yet to post about this because I am still in a little shock that we actually did it, but about a week ago we had NEW carpet put in our home. We rent from my Dad and Mom and we are so blessed to have this house to live in because even though we rent, my parents have told us we can do what we like with the house. Paint, improve whatever. This home is intended to be in our family for generations and we plan to be here for a while so while we're here we're making some improvements. It's all good.

For those of you who are "lurkers" and do not know me personally... I am not the most organized person on the block. I am definately not "type A" where everything has a place and everything is put away nicely. My husband has had to contend with my weakness in this area for quite some time and I have to say that he has been very patient and loving through it all. He looks to me for guidance in this area... and I look at him cross eyed because I have no idea how to lead the family in this area.

I blame it on the clutter catcher. Growing up, each of us had a clutter catcher. It actually seemed like a good idea at first. It was a small 8x10 box that we were told if we didn't know where to put things, to put it in the clutter catcher. Then we could go find it later. We would clean out the clutter catcher at the end of the week and then it would help us be organized for the next week. The "clutter catcher" became my crutch because instaed of putting things away in their rightful place I would just place it in the box AND I would not empty it weekly so it just became a pile of who knows what.

Now that we have the main areas of the house emptied and all of the clutter is in boxes or in our office... we are only putting things in place that make sense for organization, for the space we have and for how we live our lives. (I've watched many an episode of CLEAN HOUSE... and am learning a thing or two!)

For example, when I cleaned out what used to be my "upstairs office area" I was able to throw away about THREE garbage bags FULL of clutter! I'm talking things I haven't looked at needed or wanted for the three years we have been here! Paperwork, McDonalds toys, magazines, brochures, bills, you name it... I stored it...

I have boxes and containers in closets from college, from old apartments and things i have never gone through. If I were to guesstimate.. I think I have about another 3 garbage bags full of clutter I can toss before I am completely done cleansing this home.

There however is a part of me that wants to be "neat" and "organized". I want to teach my children what "order" looks and feels like. I think there is a certain security and safety in knowing where things are and where they are supposed to go. Especially for kids. And now that we are adding one more to this awesome family of mine... I think for everyone's sake, we need a little organization and understanding of how that looks. I will begin this journey with decluttering my life, getting rid of any clutter piles, boxes or containers and starting fresh. Letting go of the old... and welcoming in a new season of our lives... a season of organization and clarity. Can I get an Amen?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Amen! It's the other eternal battle...organization and fighting against chaos. Battling the enemy of our homes and peace of mind! You go girl and you can always get an Amen from me. We row the same boat most days :)

Unknown said...

Amen from me too! The anti-clutter freak (me) married the eternal packrat (him)! ARGH! But, there can be a happy medium. What a blessing to get new carpet, though - can't wait to see it!

Jeanette Hohnke said...

Amen!!!!!