Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Passion Play... Here we come!


As we approach the dates of the Passion Play of Durango April 8-11, 2009... things are wrapping up nicely. Everyone is referring to me as being married to "Jesus". We laugh about it and talk about how there is no pressure in it. People make funny jokes and bow down to him a lot recently. Bill has been frequenting the tanning bed so he is acquiring a great tan. Monday and Tuesday nights are spent in rehearsal and pretty soon some dress rehearsals will be worked on feverishly.

Last night we went to the rehearsal and the church was filled with people taking part in the play. I was a little overwhelmed with how many people are taking part in the play. I was instructed on how to help Bill backstage during some costume changes.

I watched him during a scene where he plays Jesus praying to God before he is to be crucified and immediately welled up with tears. Seeing my husband pray and cry out to God on behalf of everyone was very moving to me. This is a surreal experience.

I could not be more proud of my awesome husband. He is mostly a sports guy, a stats fanatic and a Sports Center guy. He loves playing, watching and keeping track of all things that have to do with sports. He loves church and he loves drama but taking on the role of Jesus and working on it as hard as he does with all the other things he has going is something I am so proud of. This new passion he has for acting and drama is something that just makes me so happy for him. You would not believe the amount of lines he has to memorize and the "passion" they are looking for from him in terms of all of the awesome personality and aspects of Jesus. It's tough to play a Savior. Very tough. Especially when you want to depict Jesus. Jesus is a tough act to swallow. A sinless loving man... who was paying the price for all of our sins. This play will depict Jesus in a real way to people who may have never heard this story before. It's an awesome oppportunity.

So, next week we will dye Bill's hair and begin his total transformation. We are working on the emotion behind his lines now... and stage direction. I am glad to help him and practice with him. There is still much to be done but I know it will all come together. The set will be built by the end of the day and we will take teh family to practice again tonight. The kids are so excited to have their own costumes too. To participate in the play... to watch their Dad play Jesus. To be completely honest this is all very exhausting to a prego chick, but when I see Billy practicing on the stage and motivated to do this, I am motivated by his passion for this project.

I look forward to the night of each performance. I am excited about the friendships he is forming and can't wait to see all the good things that come from this play. For the people in the play as well as our community. This Easter story is the ultimate story... one that every person should hear. The very reason we celebrate Easter... because Christ died on the cross not because he had to but because we needed him to and he loves us that much.

2 comments:

Jill said...

First of all I had to turn my sound off. I love the Don Fransisco song. Makes me cry and I really can't cry right now (or maybe I can and don't want to...)

Secondly, your husband is amazing. For as much teasing as we give you guys in all of this, he is doing wonderfully and I can not even imagine the spiritual, emotional and physical toll it has taken on him and all of your family.

To experience what God did for us, night after night, I'm sure it's exhausting. He's a real trooper and so are all of you. I am so thankful for Bill and his commitment. I'm thankful for his love and passion for the play and all of the parts. I'm thankful that he is married to you - a wonderful supporter and encourager. You guys make an amazing team.

I so can't wait to see the final product. I am very much looking forward to the play. We love you guys and are praying for you!

Kimberly Beach said...

Last night I heard more emotion as it became more and more real to Him. It's beautiful. You have played such an intregal role in his preparation but your work is just beginning.

This is why I love Husband-Wife teams - the prayer a wife sends up during a performance for her spouse is unlike any other.

So you stay rested; hydrated and prayed up! We need you, too!

Love you. Thanks for your ever-willing smile and laughter and love.