Friday, May 1, 2009

What's next... the days following the conference




So, my friends Jinny, Jo, Jill and I all traveled about 13 hours east to Grapevine Texas to attend a kind of big church called F*llowship church for a conference... Uh... yeah it was big... about 15,000-20,000 members! More members in this one church than we have in the town of Durango.

I knew God was preparing me for this adventure. But little did I know how much He would direct me once I arrived. We were greeted by smiling faces. The Children's ministry at this church is like Disneyland landed in Texas. They truly make church fun for kids and I was totally inspired. They had worship music, incredible speakers and dramas lots of fun. We kind of tag teamed the conference all splitting up to go do different general sessions to learn as much as we could so we could inform each other of everything we had learned. It was great.

I came out of each session with my mouth gaping open... my mind racing of all of the cool things we could incorporate at our church to take our children/family ministry to the next level. Kick it up a notch. Much of what they were talking about was simple principles that Jesus taught us. Make disciples of men. How did he do it? By relationships. Good ones honest relationships that were loving compassionate forgiving and fun.

We spent two days at the conference and by the end of it, we were totally invigorated, but totally exhausted. We made the trip back... and thankfully my awesome friends let me make a bed in the back of the mini van so I could get my "naps" in as I needed them.

I guess the main thing I learned at this conference is that we ALL need to make an effort when it comes to kids and ministry and discipleship. The choice we make to love everyone (adults and kids included) despite our circumstances during the day makes a huge impact and is something I believe is pretty rare in our culture. So, moving forward I am going to make the effort to love "beyond" my circumstances. To read my Bible which will help me stay in that place of understanding and to look to the future and all it holds and continue to ask God to direct my path daily so it is pleasing to Him.

I was so blessed to get this opportunity to spend time with friends, learn a whole lot about what it means to minister to kids and families and listen to the quiet whisperings God has placed on my heart. This journey is going to be a fun... and my best adventure yet.

1 comment:

Sommer said...

I am so glad the trip went well. I am looking forward to what God has for this children's ministry too.