Sunday, May 17, 2009

My big girl... and her crazy Mama

Ariana (Grace's cousin) Grace Marie and Grandma

It's official. Grace has turned seven years old.

We will remember..

The day before Grace's birthday (after my doctor appointment) I wrote BK an email that said, can you believe a year ago at this time I was on my knees pouring my heart to God telling him all the desires we had for a baby... and in 8 weeks we will meet her? I was crying, I was humbled I was am so excited to meet this new addition to our family.

He said, can you believe 7 years ago tomorrow we were in the hospital waiting for the arrival of our first born child? We had no idea what an impact these kids were going to have on our lives. We had no idea how the birth of our children would set us into motion wanting to know more closely this God who created these special gifts for us.

We will remember....
Grace was born into this world and I have to admit I was the worlds "freakiest" Mom. God bless all the friends and family who loved on me during my first baby. They must have thought I was nuts. But no one ever made me feel bad or said anything. They supported me in my OCD weirdness and probably left my house shaking their head going.. that poor crazy new Mommy.

For example, my Mom and Aunt came and helped me with Grace in the very first weeks of her life. I made them whisper ALL DAY LONG. Or at least when Grace was trying to sleep. I could not imagine anyone interrupting her much needed sleep! I tiptoed around the house, I crawled on my hands and knees out of her nursery so not to wake her... or so she wouldn't see me. I hated the sound of her sadness... it was like nails on a chalkboard.

My little brother Austin was also there... he was 13 years old and bored out of his mind. One day I decided we would venture out on a walk. Austin could barely contain himself, we were actually leaving the house! We put her in the stroller after a feeding... and walked with her. It was June in Minnesota.

I broke a sweat at the third house because of all the humidity and bugs outside. After all she was this untouched unscathed perfection that I didn't want the world to harm. By the time we got to the end of the block she was crying and I was freaking out and made my brother walk with me back to the house with her. We went and hung out in the rocker and she was much better.

I remember just holding her and crying and rocking in her nursery. Any CD I had like Kenny Loggins Pooh Corner especially... made me cry. I looked at my Mom one morning and I was holding her and I said, YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I LOVE HER... it's so funny thinking about me saying that to my own mother... OF COURSE SHE UNDERSTOOD! I'm crying now as I type this because I still feel that same deep amazing love today. That insane, am I really worthy of this gift feeling. Every day I am excited to see her. Every day I look forward to a talk with her, a snuggle, a smile and a hug. God's gift of motherhood is priceless and I was so in awe of it with Grace.

Anyway, on Saturday Grace had and "Art Party" with a couple of her friends, we ate food, painted crafts and they all were able to decorate their own cupcakes with candies and frosting and such. She has also graduated to "dangily earrings" this makes her day. She got loads of them as well as some beautiful new summer dresses. So my girl is set!

So, I play this Pooh Corner song for my daughter Grace. I love you my sweet precious "peach". When she was first born I called her peaches because she had this cute little outfit that had peaches on it... it was my favorite.
Happy Birthday my big 7 year old. I am so excited to see what God has planned for you. Love, Mommy.

1 comment:

Jill said...

This post was awesome. I love that girl and am so glad she turned out "normal" even with her "crazy" mom. You guys are so cute. Good job mama and daddy. She's a treasure!