Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A scare and a prayer...


My friends and I were just talking the other day about how unpredictable life can be. How one moment your life looks one way and the next... it can change on a dime. So many things can side track our lives. In most cases I believe it is the "accuser" trying to "kill, steal and destroy" our lives. But even in these terrible circumstances we know that God is allowing it to happen, but making "good" things come out of it. Even when we cannot see the good. I heard about a lady that worked in a doctor's office for cancer patients and she said that as a result of someone walking through an illness like cancer... so much good came out of it. Relationships were healed, families were reunited, people poured their love on one another. It just blow me away that no matter what... God promises He will make good in the times we need him most.

Well, on Sunday night I felt SUPER sick. I had been advised that my iron levels were low so over the weekend I took iron 2x per day. I was supposed to go in on Monday to have my levels checked again and they said they wanted to do some further tests on my blood. Sunday night I threw up and woke up with a slight fever and felt nauseous. I was short of breath and felt like every breath I took was a tough one. I tried to nap but my heart was pounding in my chest. I had never felt this yucky.

I talked to BK and we decided to his Mercy Emergency room for further investigation. We went to the emergency room and they admitted me. Apparently being 7 months pregnant and informing them I was "short of breath" and potentially anemic was something they needed to look into further. Oh yeah... my blood pressure was low and my heart rate was high so they needed to konw more.

The doc came in and told me that they needed to do blood tests, that apparently untreated anemia can cause the heart to work overtime. Anemia makes it so your blood does not create enough red blood cells and he noted that my hemoglobin levels were low too. He told me that they wanted to take an xray of my heart and give me an EKG to see if my heart was enlarged or if there was any damage to my heart. They had taken like six vials of blood. I just kept praying that God would make these tests come back OK. I had peace. The doctor kept looking at me to see if I was going to meltdown on him, he was very concerned. He wanted to prepare me for the worst. But I had this total peace in all of it. I know it was the Lord.

In the meantime more blessings were coming our way. For about two hours we had phone calls, texts, and emails to friends who love us calling us to offer to take the kids, calling to offer a meal, calling to support both of us telling us people were praying. In those two hours I believe God was answering prayer. I believe the God who loves me and my family and this baby was working behind the scenes to protect this family. It could go either way... I could be in heart failure and there would be major changes to be made... or life could go on as it was. Either way God would be working in all of it.

After the couple of hours of IV fluids and waiting for tests and an xray of my chest... the results came back. The doctor told me that all of the blood work came back great. He actually appeared surprised that given all of the symptoms I had... his scientific theory was wrong. My anemia was gone. I was at a normal range for a pregnant woman. My blood was making red blood cells. My heart xray came back looking very normal. Apparently this low blood pressure, high heart rate thing was just something I may have to be careful about in this pregnancy. That I needed to take it slow in the next two months. Get lots of rest drink lots of fluids and keep taking my iron. I think I can handle that.

I believe in God. I believe in Him even when I do not see Him. Thank you God for your protection your love and how you are working behind the scenes when we can't even see it.

4 comments:

Jill said...

So, so, so, so awesome! I love hearing about our prayer-answering, Miracle-making God. Yeah!! Love you guys.

Unknown said...

There is no doubt in my mind that yesterday, your Daddy was watching over you, saying, "Sorry Satan, you can't distract this woman. She has MY peace, and a higher calling. She doesn't have to listen to your doubting words." You are a rock star sister! We love you & the fam!

Andy and Cari said...

Thanks for all the great comments ans prayers...we really appreciate them.
Cari

Sommer said...

I am so glad we serve a great and mighty God. I am so glad you are feeling better!