Monday, May 25, 2009

This Crazy Busy Family - On Memorial Day


There is something about a "day off" that is so appreciated in this family. We have been so busy lately that BOTH Bill and I forgot that this weekend was Memorial Day and that we both had the day off. It was kind of a blessing in a way... because we both forgot... we both did not plan one thing to do! So, we decided it would be a family day, a day of rest.... and day to just hang out together, relax and enjoy each moment together.


We started the day with a trip to Billy's favorite bagel shop, Durango Bagel. Grace is not a big fan of bagels, Toby thankfully obliged and Bill got me hooked on their Cinnamon Sugar bagel toasted with walnut maple cream cheese. (dee lish) In the car we talked about what Memorial Day meant. Grace asked questions about what "the military" was and all about soldiers. She wanted to know more about this great country and what was so cool about our freedoms. I remember having this conversation with my own parents and not really understanding the importance of freedom. I didn't get it that other countries were bound by the opinions, and laws of the government. I didn't get it that the people in those countries did not have a "say" about their own lives. That they couldn't pray to who they wanted to, that they couldn't say what they wanted to read what they wanted to etc.etc. Freedom is one of the most awesome blessings God gives us and to recognize those people today is an honor. God bless our military, soldiers and families who have served to keep these freedoms alive.

The kids are home with me this summer. They are not going to "kid camp" or other programs. Like I have said before, I love spending time with them and next year they will both be in school, so it pains me to send them somewhere for the day when I can be home with them while I work from home. I can snuggle them on the couch on my lunch breaks. I can watch them play in the yard while I work and make them lunch and get them started on fun projects all while I work. I love summers with my kids. It's too much fun. THEY LOVE sleeping in too.

So... this morning we went to Wal Mart and picked out a nice trampoline... it's 14' and has one of those cool guards on it. Plus a pad to protect them from the springs. We had a trampoline when we first moved in and the kids adored it. Grace was 3 years old and Toby was 1 1/2 years old. It had no guard and no padding... it made me a nervous wreck. We would only play on it "with them" . They would jump and play and laugh... it was so fun to hear them playing.

The weather is not cooperating with us... BK and the kids began to assemble this fun new toy and we are missing ONE spring to finalize the net being attached to the frame. So, I am saying a little prayer that when I go out there to look for it (I took a nap while Billy finished assembly with the kids) that God will help us find our missing spring and if we don't find it that the spring get here in record time. I have two eager children who want to bounce and play.

I hope you all had an amazing day off to spend with friends and family. God bless America.

1 comment:

Mom Of Many said...

Sounds like a really fun day. And I think I might like to try that same bagel kind you had. Yummm. xo