Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My biggest achievement...




I am 37 years old. Billy and I are headed into our 10 year anniversary. We are having our third child, I am embarking on some exciting endeavors (which I will share soon)my high school graduating class just had a 20 year reunion, both my kids are going to school, my college friends and I plannning reunions. As I head towards the big 4-0 I can't help but look back and think... what has been the greatest achievement in these 37 years? What am I most proud of? It has been easy for me to look back and think about the bad choices I have made. Those come to mind very clearly for me. This journey has not been a path of perfection, but a learning experience. So, what has been the best thing?

The best thing I have ever done in my life is 1st pursue a deeper spiritual relationship with Christ and second becoming a wife and a Mom. I feel like my pursuit of Jesus and understanding my spiritual walk was the "professor" I needed to navigate through marriage and being the best possible Mom I can be to my kids. I have shared my story about how with each birth of my children I became closer to the Lord. In the Bible it says that God draws you near to him, well our children have drawn us nearer to Jesus than you can imagine. We need Him. We understand we cannot do it on our own and we love our kids so much, we want them to understand the peace, joy and excitement that a faith-filled life has to offer.

Last night I tucked Toby and Grace into bed. I had two tender moments. Toby was laying in his bed with his covers all messed up. The wind was blowing through their bedroom window. It felt cold to me. This is going to sound totally psycho, but I had this rush of joy come over me as I shut the window to protect him from the cold and this second wave came over me as I straightened his covers stroked his head and kissed his cheek. I knew in my heart that I was created for Toby. I was made to do this. I was created to love him and explain to him the pursuit of God and what joy it brings. What an awesome cool responsibility. I want him to know how much he is loved by me and by God. It is the most important job I have and I am so proud to be given.

My second "tender" moment was when I looked at Grace on the top bunk. Grace is like me, always warm... but the room was very cold last night and she had NO covers on her while she slept. I actually gasped... like heaven forbid she not have her covers on her. She was snoring and I laughed a little. My daughter is the night owl... she will fight going to bed with everything she has... she likes me to "smooth" her back before she goes to bed. I stand on the ladder and rub her back for like 2 minutes until she falls asleep. She told Billy that this is something "special" Mom does for her before bed. It is special. As I wrapped her up in her angel blanket and tucked it around her again, I felt this wave of excitement that God had entrusted this life to me as her mother. That although I am not perfect, I will continue to do the best job being the best Mom I can to them.

It is my greatest achievment so far. So as I continue to pursue and walk through this life in relationship with Christ. I can proudly say that I am most proud of being a Mom, a Mom who loves her kids and has faith in Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

carie said...

you are an awesome mom and what a blessed job you have.
thankful little josie will be here soon. praying for you.
xx