Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Daddy and "big kid" camp out...

Me and Josie... I'm one "HOT" Mama.
While they camped... we rested.


The kids have been troopers hanging with their "tethered Mom" during the day. Preparing their own lunches (sometimes) getting creative with playtime. Playing on the trampoline with the sprinkler on hot days. But sometimes you just need time with Daddy. Daddy time is crucial to them.

Daddy talked to Grace about camping out on the trampoline one night. She was so excited. She had a camping bag packed and ready to go when he arrived home that night. This was going to be the highlight of her summer with her Dad. I was excited for her and we all anxiously awaited his arrival home from work. Frankly as exhausted as I have been I was surprised BK had the energy to do a campout on the trampoline, but he did and he was committed to the original proposal.

Me and Toby... a "close" close up!


When Dad arrived home the thunder began to clap over the mountains, it began to rain over the mountains and then it began to rain... pour actually all night. This weather mishap prompted some creative thinking by Mom and Dad to execute and prepare a camp out in the living room. While I nursed Josie, BK rearranged furniture, Grace grabbed pillows, sheets and sleeping bags... at this point Toby was all about the camp out too. So Dad, Grace and Toby all gathered in the makeshift tent to play and eventually go to sleep.

Daddy's Girl


I told my kids that if they were not sleeping by a certain time they would have to go to bed up in their bunk beds. I did not want them staying up all night. So we took pics, Grace and Toby grabbed BK's mag light and held the flashlight under their chins and told "scary stories". Toby's stories would go something like this... THERE ONCE WAS A SCARY MAN WHO WAS WALKING DOWN THE STREET... and THEN.....DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED???... DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?... DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED? (all the time getting louder and louder) Then he would say something goofy like... HE WAS A VAMPIRE! And we would all pretend we were scared. Then we would laugh really hard.

Anyway, I went to bed, listening to BK finish off the scary stories... with a great story.. the kids were enthralled. When I woke up in the middle of the night I expected all of them to be back in their own beds. Including my husband....

The three musketeers


But all three of them were snoring and sleeping in the "tent". The campout actually went throughout the night and well into the morning. My husband slept on the floor all night. How cool is that. I am so thankful for him. I am thankful for my home, my kids, and my life. I thought I'd post pics of their fun night. This was definately a night to remember for all of us. Successful and fun.

Here's a little "old school" Bon Jovi for my friend Cari... this takes me back to 6th grade dances. You don't necessarily need to dance to this one... but you can remember your funky 80's hairdo and laugh a little. :)

2 comments:

Andy and Cari said...

I love the pics...it reminds me of a time when I was 6 or so, the power went out in our new house...it was so much bigger than our old one, so my sister and I were scared. Mom and dad made a fire in the fire place and we had a "camp out" in the living room. telling stories and eating in front of the only light source available!
thanks for the song!

Jeanette Hohnke said...

Give Bill a hug for me, will you?