Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jen of all trades... master of some?!?

These past couple of weeks I have felt and continue to feel like I am a jack of all trades and "sometimes" good at the things I put my mind to. I can blame it on the pregnancy. I can blame it on my ADD (self diagnosed) or I can just chalk it up to a day in the life if Jen Kline.

Having had a miscarriage prior to this pregnancy, I have to say I am very much more aware of my body, of how I should take care of it and listen to what it needs. I have faith that God is taking care of me. But I also know that I am the kind of person who will try to "do it all" save the world and burn myself out.
My body needs food and I am SO good at feeding it. :) It needs rest. I am doing this more often and my body loves me for it. I take naps when I have a free afternoon. This is SO needed by this body of mine.

Being a Mom is a priority for me so I have been very focused on assisting Grace and Toby in learning some things... with Grace it is spelling. We are working on spelling words weekly and reading books. With Toby I am working with him on helping around the house... teaching him to be responsible for his things and that everything he owns has a place and he can make sure it gets to that place. Toby and I are also working on what month it is and what Day it is. He also dresses his weather frog here and there and is helping me cook. So in the Mom department I feel like I'm doing pretty good.

I am a wife, this is something I also take very seriously. My husband however has not been home due to his busy schedule with a play he is going to be in, work priorities, bible studies refing basketball and youth group... so when we have time together I just pray we are able to laugh and have some good quick talks. We were blessed with a date after church today where we went and drooled over ovens at Home Depot... (our oven is broken) it was actually a lot of fun!

It's amazing that when I pick a couple things to focus on and give priority to... I start to feel like I am not "doing" enough. I want to remain in a peaceful place and I know that if I try to keep the pace I have had in the past... I will deplete.

So I take a deep breath in and out and continue to said, "no" or "not now" to the lingering voice in my head telling me what a slacker I am. I keep telling myself it's ok to pull back a little bit. That it's ok to focus on what I am able to do rather than my big picture dreams.

There are things I want to do and expand in Children's ministry... things I want to do personally (play the guitar/mandolin and go on a missions trip) things I want to do and plan for my friends... house projects and financial planning that all just have this tidy little place in the back of my head. Where they sit and wait to be called upon. It is annoying that I cannot juggle them all right now... but I am trying an new approach to multi tasking... taking it a "couple" things at a time. It's still multiple tasks... does that count? :)

Peace!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

It TOTALLY counts!! Good for you for learning and accepting your limits...it makes you better at EVERYTHING you do if you don't try to do it all. I often think this self-abuse we put ourselves through is satan's way of trying to push us to the point of exhaustion so we can't do ANYTHING well or even focus enough to be able to figure out what things truly matter. Hooray for you for not succombing to "do it all" syndrome! And if you and Billy ever need someone to watch the kiddos so you can get out of the house together for a bit, just let us know!