Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Doing the hard thing...



As I get older and as I grow in closer relationship with Jesus he is revealing to me many times when I have to "do the hard thing." Whether I am correcting my kids, managing finances, friendships, family relationships and different situations... some decisions and choices are just hard.

When I was younger, I would disregard the hard stuff, shove it to the back of my brain. Ignore the voice inside of me that told me the thing I needed to do that may be difficult. But today I am understanding that that still soft voice is the voice of the Lord encouraging me to step out in faith and love and face the "tough decisions" with Him by my side and trusting completely.

The best example I can give you is our decision to move to Durango. BK and I owned a beautiful big house in Minnesota, it had this big chandelier in the front entrance, it was brand new and at the time had two bedrooms and one bath. My Mom would jokingly call it "the mansion." When we sold it... the basement was remodeled and it had four bedrooms and two bathrooms. It was a beautiful home. When God began to stir it in our hearts to come to Durango, we listened both wanting God to lead us. We were blown away that God sent us a buyer... we needed no realtor and no planning. The buyer walked up to our front door and heard we were thinking about moving and told us they wanted to buy the house.

My Dad made the "not popular" decision in the family to buy a lodge of a home at a campground near his house and move it onto his 2.5 acres in Durango. Many people told him he was crazy... gave him a hard time for the decision, but he listened to the still soft voice... If he had not listened, I do not think we would be in Durango... I am forever grateful that he "did the hard thing."

Eventually we made it out here and totally love it. We are renting from my Dad and Mom and to tell you the truth... it is one of the hardest things I have done. I like to be independent have all my bases covered and accomplish my goals.

The thing about God's voice and hearing the truths he speaks to us... is that once you think he's moved you through one thing... you have to remember he is still there moving you through the next thing. In my mind, we would sell the house, rent for a couple months and go ahead and buy another home. I wanted God to come along for the ride... follow my lead after we moved here. I was like.. OK Lord... we listened to you to get us here, but now that we're here... I got it covered.

So I began researching homes in Durango, we spend a lot of months looking at homes in Durango and the surrounding area. We prayed (mostly that God would deliver what my heart so desired), we saved, we made sure we were credit worthy. I wanted to be independent. Live the American dream, buy a house.

The problem with this hard thing was that I didn't ask the Lord what he wanted for me? What do YOU want Lord? What would you desire for us to do now that we are here? What's next Lord? Please reveal it to us... Nope. I was like... yo Lord... let's buy a house... end of story.

So now I am doing that. God is revealing to me to take it slow. To appreciate this house my Dad worked so hard to put on this land. Appreciate the view of the mountains, Grace's school that is within walking distance. To appreciate I have my Dad close by, in case he needs us or we need him. I am doing what the Lord would have me do, because to me this is no longer my plan, but I am on autopilot... seeking, waiting and listening to the still soft voice in my head that has this plan for our lives. Thank you Lord for speaking truth to me so I can do the hard thing. Please make sure I keep you at the forefront of it all. I love you Lord and I thank you for loving me back. Amen.

2 comments:

Jill said...

The hard thing usually means battling - I mean full out war - with our flesh. It doesn't always "feel" good to wait, to pray, to listen, but it is always right. He won't lead us the wrong direction...ever! Even when it doesn't make sense. Thanks for being a great example and for being honest, that listening, waiting and following God isn't always easy but it can be done! You're awesome!

Kimberly Beach said...

Beautifuly lesson beautifully said.