Friday, February 20, 2009

And so the adventure... and transformation begins



I am going to be blogging about this part of our lives because quite frankly getting prepared for it is like running a marathon. It is called The Passion Play of Durango. The Passion Play for those of you who don't know is a community theatre production that tells the Easter story of Jesus. It tells people about Jesus his life on earth conversations he had with his disciples and people before he died, . It depicts Jesus' death on the cross and the true story of when he was raised from the dead for all to see that he as truly the son of God.

This play reveals the truth about Jesus to people all over the world. When I was traveling in Europe after graduating college... I was in Oberammergau in Germany and I remember everyone in town was all excited because they had a huge production coming of the Passion Play. The truth about Jesus is revealed to people through theatre, this also becomes an opportunity for people to begin a to pray to ask Jesus into their hearts. Which is a huge honor and awesome opportunity.

Our church has run this production for the last three years. For the past two years Bill played Caiaphas one of the Sanhedrin who made sure Jesus was put to death on the cross. My husband is quiet, reserved and rather introverted. He does not have acting background or training. But he has a passion for it and for not having any of that.. he has done an amazing job each year. Every year I am blown away by his acting. He had a lot of lines in his last part and his talent to be able to first of all remember all of them and deliver them without passing out... and deliver them well, with expression and passtion. He has done an amazing job. I am very proud of him.

This year he is playing the part of Jesus in the play. The main role... the big kahuna. Frankly when he told me he was going to play it, he said it very quietly and really doesn't talk about it much. I believe he is relying on God to prepare him for this part. He takes this part very seriously and wants to do a good job. He is working out... (because from what we've heard.. being a carpenter and all... Jesus was pretty buff) :) He is pretty blonde so we will have to dye his hair more brown to reflect Jesus' dark hair and he was hanging out a lot outside, so BK is going to have to get himself tan... in the next two months. I am posting this post to being to document this awesome journey for BK... his transformation from Bill Kline from St. Ansgar Iowa to Jesus of Nazareth... he is preparing his body mind and spirit for this role... so I want to get this down in a blog.

The church has a cast of about 50-60 people and the show runs in April. So between now and then they are practicing lines, preparing costumes, sets, sound, etc.etc. and praying... that this production touch the hearts and lives of a TON of people in the four corners area.

To be completely honest... I am not sure I am ready to see my husband up on the cross crucified, playing my Jesus... my savior. So we are praying ourselves up, asking God to prepare our hearts and our minds... and to work mightily in this awesome production.

PS... the kids and I are going to be playing kind of background parts of being "the crowd".

We will keep you posted and I will post pics of BK's physical transformation to Jesus. Please be praying for us as we move into this season of spring... it's a big deal in the Kline family and I could not be more proud of my husband.

1 comment:

Kimberly Beach said...

What a wonderful idea - posting this journey. I have found that the lead roles learn so much about themselves and their relationship with Christ.

Once, I had trouble orchestrating the death of my Lord.

Now, I tend to vision that I am preparing for His resurrection!!!

That is BK - not the savior dying - the Savior Living!

Thanks for going on this journey!