Saturday, February 21, 2009

Grocery Shopping and bad timing...



Yesterday we went to the grocery store. I think much of mothering and parenting has to do with being able to discern when my children are "working me..." and an awareness of their emotional state. My children have two stages of crazy. There are times when they are whiney and needy and angry and frustrated because they are trying to manipulate Mommy. But there are other times when they are exhausted, overwhelmed and sick and tired and just emotionally can't handle one more thing. I don't think kids have the ability to know when they are "spent." So as mothers, we just keep going with our normal schedule or add things onto the schedule and pray that our kids can keep up.

That was me this week. We had stayed out late a couple nights this week for good reasons... but it really took it's toll on Grace and Toby. Toby has a head cold and Grace is well on her way to one. We kept them up late because we had a couple social things we did this week that ran way past bedtime. On most occasions the kids can handle it because they are healthy and they make it. I know usually know their breaking point.

But yesterday I took them to run two errands... to my work and the grocery store. This would seem to most that this would not be "too much" for the kids to handle. Well on the way from my first errand to the second (dropping something off at my work and heading to the grocery store) both of my kids fell asleep in the car. Grace NEVER falls asleep during the day anymore... so that's how I know she is not feeling well. So, I did like any prego mother would do. I made my way to City Market parked the car... reclined my chair and fell asleep as well... for 30 minutes. Napping in my van... I'm livin the dream baby! :)

But the real fun began when they woke up. I call them nap hangovers for lack of a better term. It's when you wake up from a nap and feel worse than before. It's no fun and BOTH were in a nap hangover.

Now.. the dilemma is getting them out of the "funk" and into the grocery store. Both were whining about wanting to go to McDonalds, being hungry or DQ. I told them that City Market was where the budget would take us... and that just sent them both into a tornado of whining, crying and yelling in my van. Toby's stuffy nose was dripping, Grace was making her body melt onto the floor and crying big huge alligator tears. I absolutely had to go to City Market because we had nothing for dinner that evening. I panicked, I felt bad for them and the ridiculous schedule we ran them through this week... so I did it. I made the cardinal sin of motherhood and caved.

When your a Mom and you cave...you feel a little defeated. No mother wants to give their children everything they want... when the children want it... that's just bad parenting - but I have learned in my six years of parenting that you truly need to pick your battles. And this was one I was willing to lose.

So... I told the kids... that we were not going to go to McDonalds... (more screaming and crying) but I said, if you pull it together so we can get through City Market and get the small list of groceries I need... we will go to Dairy queen and get a kids cone. (seriously... a hot fudge sundae sounded so good to me that very minute).

In the end, I got my shopping done, the kids "barely" made it through City Market... and I kept thinking the entire time... what the heck am I going to do when I have a new little baby in this crazy mix? I'm thinking two hot fudge sundaes! Pray for me guys.. just pray for me. :)

1 comment:

Miss. Jinny said...

oh my goodness you crack me up! Now I know the story of the hot fudge cup sitting in your car! Hehehe! I love you girl!