Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Brothers... Pete Brad and Austin

I have posted lots about the family God has provided for me. But not much about the family I was born into. A major part of who I am and the person I grew up to be centers around me being the first born and the oldest of four children. My three younger siblings are all boys. Well, they were boys... now they are men. But I they are all amazing guys, totally different but totally cool in so many different ways.

The oldest of my three brothers is Pete. Pete is about 2 years younger than me and has a big wide heart. He has a hard outer shell but a soft gooey inside. I am proud of him for so many things. But mostly that he loves his family and that he is a great Dad and husband and he seeks to live his life pleasing the Lord. He and my son Tobias share a birthday. They also share the simple fact they are totally tough and burly on the outside but soft-hearted and love people.

Pete works as a "tree guy." Arborist if you will, he ran his own business when he lived in Durango and was known around town for all of the business he did Durango. He is a hard worker, he knows what he is doing and loves to be his own boss. When we were little we went through weird periods where we were not friends. We hung out together in the "neighborhood" riding our bikes to the pool, but we were at each other's throats a lot. He was my pesky brother, I was a bratty big sister. But today I cannot say enough how much I love him and how much he means to me. I hear his heart very clearly. I feel like sometimes he does not have to say a word and I can discern how he's doing. He can do anything he puts his mind to. He decides something and it's done. He's strong and capable. He's hard working and loving. He has an awesome family wife and two beautiful children. He rocks.

My brother Brad is the middle brother. When my Mom was pregnant with Brad I am not sure how old I was but I would get up in the middle of the night and get him and rock him until she got up out of bed to feed him. Brad and I were always close growing up. I would try to protect him from Pete. Not always successful, but I tried. He too is an amazing man and father. He loves his family and works so hard. He isn't quite as verbal and talkative as Pete and I, but his gifts are all internal. He is a total talent. Musically he has taught himself to play the piano, mandolin and guitar. He has so much raw musical talent, it's fun to watch. Brad is private and although we are close he keeps to himself. He loves the simple things in life and it's a joy to watch. He can play like a mad man but isn't too keen on doing it with an audience. He finds joy in playing his instruments and his music for his daughter Ari. His number one fan! He also works as "tree guy" he is a certified Arborist and loves what he does. He works in Durango and I am glad to have him and his family close to me. We don't get together as often as I would like to, but as he navigates his first child, I navigate my "brood" to be! We are working out how to make sure we get together more often. Brad's heart is awesome too. He is understanding, a great listener and is chill. I love that about him. I am proud to call him my brother:)

Finally, my youngest brother and another amazing story. We affectionately call him Zay Zay. Now that he is older he goes by Austin... growing up we called him A.J. a nickname he has forgone over the years. Zay Zay is how he said it when he was a baby... so that kind of stuck for me. Austin was born when I was 17 years old. When he would come visit me in college at 1 1/2 some people would ask me if he was my child. He is the apple of all of our eye. He has grown up almost as an only child because we are all so much older than he is. But he blows us all out of the water. He is a musical theatre major at NYU, he too plays the mandolin, guitar, harmonica and violin. He loves to act and is studying it in New York. He will be a junior this year and we are so excited the path his life has taken. Austin and I have some minor generational gaps. He and Grace are closer in age than Austin and I were... but even with our age difference I feel very close to him. I love him with all my heart and I know he loves me too. He thinks my "80's" tendencies and speech are funny. He is hysterical and can find humor in just about anything. When I go see him in productions and plays... I cry every time. I am so proud of the man he is becoming.

All three of these awesome dudes I am proud to call my brothers. I pray for them and love them very much. I ask God to pour himself into their lives. To show up for them, to guide them, to protect them and their families and friends. I pray specifically for their needs. I am a proud big sister and thank God for their influence and love in my life.

No comments: