Friday, June 19, 2009

Another Faithbuilder - The Adoption Option


One of the biggest faithbuilders for me since we've moved here is one that has to do with an awesome little boy from China. This one has to do with the power of prayer and trusting God when he places the burden of praying for someone on our hearts.

Please note: I have always understood the power of prayer. But not like I have recently. I've prayed for things, people, circumstances and seen little things happen. I've felt peace, I've felt comfort that God was listening. I just had never experienced an amazing huge BIG prayer answered in a dramatic way. I think God likes variety and I'm glad he saved this faithbuilder for such a time as this...

My pastors Dwight and Linn were in the process of adopting a new baby boy named Isaiah from China. At this time in my walk with God, I was just starting to understand how much I liked to pray. How much I liked talking to God and how much I felt like he truly heard my prayers.

Pastor Linn and Dwight were in the process of adopting a special needs boy named Isaiah and they were waiting on the final approval from China saying they could go get this baby boy. If this adoption did not go through... Isaiah would spend the rest of his life in the orphanage. He was at a point in the "system" where if this adoption did not process. He would never have a Mom or a Dad or family. Pastor Linn put his picture up on the big screen at church.

About halfway through the adoption process, she told us that China had told them they could NOT adopt him because of some mix up with paperwork and an "offense" the Chinese Government felt from somewhere in the adoption process. Like medical records weren't revealed at the right time or place or something like that. She also told us that once China says NO... they never change their mind. I was heartbroken. They were heartbroken. We had all been praying for them. Rooting for them and excited to see Isaiah running around in the church with our kids. I wanted him out of that crib in China with no Mom or Dad and in the arms of this awesome family. I couldn't imagine him anywhere else.

I looked at this picture and felt this incredible "burden" to pray. Now when I say burden I don't mean sadness or that I was upset. I felt like there was no other option. It was like God gave me a to do list and on that to do list there was one thing. PRAY. DO IT NOW. Like it was so important to the heart of God... I had this great gift I could give and it was the power of prayer. This is also when I began to understand why I am obedient when God puts one thing on my to do list. :)

Dwight and Linn were persistent and also faithful. They knew God wanted them to have Isaiah as their own. They had prayed and prayed. God had done so many things to get them to this point. They decided to send the Chinese government a video of their family. A final plea to get them to change their minds on the ruling that Isaiah could be in their forever family.

I'll never forget one night, I was home, Billy was out of town and the kids were sleeping. I was reading Linn's blog and looking at Isaiah's picture and I got down on my knees and prayed and prayed. I cried and I prayed. I kept saying the same things over and over to God about Isaiah. I even got up in front of the church and asked our church to fast and pray together for this little boy. I've always felt bad for orphans, but never in my life did I feel like prayer was so important. It was something I could barely communicate into words. So I just kept praying and praying.

I am not sure how long after we prayed... and how long it was after they sent the video. But Linn and Dwight received a call from the Chinese Government later on telling them that "China had changed their mind." That Isaiah could come and live with them in their family. Linn and Dwight have adopted many kids, they know the process, they were told by all of the professionals in the adoption process that this does NOT happen. China does not change their mind... they do not like to to "save face". Stick to their decisions. I was so BLOWN away by God's faithfulness and answer to this prayer.. it deepened my faith. God changed their minds, God moved that mountain and God made it OK so Isaiah could run around in the church with my son Toby and be his friend. When I think about it today I am brought to tears.

When I see Isaiah running around in our church, he is a living breathing example to me of God's love for us. He plucked Isaiah out of China and put him here in Durango. He brought him to us, so we could impact his life. So he could learn to love with all of us. So he could have a family. A forever family and not live forever in an orphanage. So when you feel the urge or burden or get a thought to pray my friends... do it. Don't wait, listen to the still soft voice of God and step out. It is God calling you to a place where he can show himself true to you in your heart and he wants to answer those desires.

Peace to you today!

PS. I would play this song while I prayed. It was my song of worship to God and a message to Isaiah. Hold Fast little boy... help is on the way. He's come to save the day. God WILL and wants to answer your prayers.

1 comment:

Miss. Jinny said...

Amen! It is such a huge testimony to see him running around the church. I am blessed to have the honor to teach that little man! And his little sister and brother!