Monday, April 20, 2009

My heart... for kids - They will impact our world.



Tomorrow we leave. My friends Jill, Jo, Jinny and I are all going to Texas. We are going to a children's ministry conference in Texas. We are driving tomorrow night and are staying for three nights and coming back Saturday morning. I am excited. I am excited because we are going to get to hang together. Even though I am 7 months pregnant and traveling so many hours seems daunting.

The motivation is kids. I think raising up children who love the Lord is the most important thing you can give your child or a child you know. A confidence in themselves, their faith. It's very important.

I saw this week on the cover of Newsweek the lead story was.. "The Decline and Fall of Christian America". It kind of gave me the chills. I grew up in a town where believing in Jesus was OK. It wasn't wrong, it was just the truth.

That is what I want for my kids. To know the truth. That God is the same today and yesterday and forever. He will never change. People will change and will walk away or pretend he's not there or make their own rules, but God will never change the truth will never change. Kids need to have a confidence in that. If they don't they will make decions based on a whim... or a gut feeling or worse yet... someone else's opinion of what's right or wrong. God has a plan for each and every one of our children... I am passionate about helping them seek it out... know God... and pursue a relationship spiritually.

Newsweek may have that lead story. But I have a BIG HUGE God who created everything we see. Who's love is unbelievable... and specific and powerful. The knowledge of God is powerful in the life of a child. Our children's pastor shared with us this verse from 2 Peter. It applies to children who are raised understanding that kind of love.

2 Peter 1:2
Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

The more knowledge (head and heart) knowledge they have about God and Jesus... the more grace and peace they will be given... How awesome is that.

Take that Newsweek... Christianity will not decline and fall in this country as long as I'm around... there is work to be done people. Work to be done.

2 comments:

Jill said...

A resounding amen my sister. Just the cover of Newsweek makes me cry. People, children, need hope for their future. The news gives us such hopelessness. We'll keep fighting till Jesus comes back. No stopping!

Miss. Jinny said...

Amen you preach it sister! I am so excited to see how much more of an impact we will have on these kids lives after this conference! Jesus open our hearts and minds to learn what you have for us to learn and apply what you want us to apply!