Thursday, January 8, 2009

Devotions, bedtime and Grace's faith






I am blown away at what happens to my children in the span of one year. When I think back where my daughter was one year ago... I am blown away. What she learns in school, how she is concerned about homework, communicates when she needs help with something and wants to feel comfortable with her school work and her projects in class.

Now... because she is my daughter... she inherited my love of relationships and being a tad on the "social" side of things. She loves to chit chat with friends in class and tell them loads of fun things. I once had a biology teacher who called me a "hiccup in a windstorm" because of the way I would buzz about the classroom conversing with all... yep... Grace has got it.

We have been giving Grace a yearly devotional book that she reads before bedtime. We read it to her and then there are good questions she can ask herself about God and we get to talk with her about it before she goes to bed. As much as she loves schoolwork and as much as she loves her projects in school. Her devotional is her favorite part of the night.



Now that she can read... she reads the story to herself and has us help her with some words. We work on the questions together and then after her devotional... she goes straight to her new Bible to look up the verse. She refuses to just read the devotional... she is determined to look up the verses. We have even given her a small flashlight so she can read her bible at night for a bit before she goes to bed. This is when I hit my knees and thank God for his love for my daughter and him pouring his light into her. BK and I never grew up with our nose in the Bible... my Mom used to read me a book called "little visits with God" that I LOVED, but I don't remember ever understanding Gods love.

Last night, Grace told me that God speaks to her. That she hears him in her "mind"... like the other day she was at school and they did not have first recess. She told me that she prayed at school... that she wanted to go outside for second recess... so she prayed. I know to some this might seem that she thinks she has an "order taking" God. But to me... it is awesome that she understands no matter how small or big the request, God cares about her desires and loves her that much to listen to her prayers and her needs. And that praying to God is important, no matter what you want to say. She also told me that she wants all of her friends who believe in God to raise money for people who don't have any money. It's funny too, because I have been praying about doing more service type projects in Chidren's ministry at church.

My daughter is a great example that although we need to "teach" our children about God and educate them... that God is the ultimate teachers aide... helping right along side us. We don't have to feel like we're doing it alone. Thank you Lord, for loving my kids more than I ever could. Thank you for your quiet whispers to their heart... (while I am doing dishes). My prayer is that you help me and my friends raise up little kids who grow into adults who simply love you with all their hearts.... and "bless it to my body" (toby's prayer salutation) Amen.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I love hearing about your little girl and her strong faith...you are a wonderful mom, Billy is a wonderful dad, and I am so thankful to see God working at such an early age in your kids' lives. It inspires me to keep praying, keep reading the Bible to Pax, keep talking about God with him...inspires me to hear that those things don't just go in one ear and out the other, but take root in a little persons' heart. Grace is a special little girl!

Miss. Jinny said...

So I want to let you know that I am blessed by Grace daily! I love when she texts me to tell me she loves me. I love when she gets on facebook to instant message me. I love the look on her face when she got her bible! She is an amazing girl and I know God has big thing instore for her! I love you Gracie Marie Kline!