Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Mad Face


Anger... hmmm... nice thought this Christmas.
I have a "Flair" (Facebook button) that says, "Get out of my happy place or I'll rip your arm off." And in my own warped mind... that's how I feel sometimes. I'll be having a really good day, propelled by my love for God just going about my day thinking about how great life is... and then WHAM... someone says something or does something that just interupts my happiness. Now mind you, I have never ripped anyone's arm off... but I can tell you that I've thought about it and even imagined beating them with it! (just kidding... I like to be dramatic too)

But I have been really praying and thinking about this concept of the "anger" emotion. God gets angry. So do I. So I am sure he gets where I am coming from. Sometimes Christians can be perceived as "wimps" because we do try to be "slow to anger" and love as much as possible. I am a Christian yes, I love the Lord, yes, I experience joy, yes... but how do you communicate to someone they have made you so angry.. without hurting them? What does "slow to anger" look like? How slow is slow.. because I know I can go from zero to angry in .5 seconds.

Now mind you... because I've asked the Lord to help me in this area he is stretching me, showing me a few things. Mostly that when I am super angry that I should not speak any words, until I have calmed down. It does not diminish my anger or frustration. But it prevents me from hurting someone else out of anger.

Secondly, how do I "commuinicate" to someone my perspective on why or what they did to make me angry. How did they take me out of that happy place... why did it propel me into anger? This is the part I am working on with God... so far I got nothing. Here are some of my more secular ideas on how to approach or communicate with that person:

"Ummmm... can I politely talk to you about how I wanted to rip your arm off yesterday?"

"Are you the devil? Because you sure acted like him yesterday?"

"Who peed in your Cheerios buddy?"

"Your mean... go away"

I seriously don't know a good way to do it. So I just keep praying... Lord. Provide me with opportunities to speak the truth in love (even when I want to rip their arm off and beat them with it ;)

Merry Christmas! :)

ps. this post made me chuckle a little bit.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Ok I really did lol when I read about peeing in your Cheerios. Never heard that before and I will probably use it from now on. Oh friend, anger is normal, it's what you do with it that's supernatural. You're on the right track by even identifying it. Hormones suck :)

Unknown said...

We've been discussing how exactly one would pee in one's cheerios all morning...interesting for work! You are ok, you are not alone in the anger department, and you're right - there is a healthy anger. And Jill's is right - how you approach what you feel is the important part. And being prego does not help the desire to rip someone's arm off & beat them with it! he, he, he...