Saturday, July 31, 2010

unbelievably high heels...


So, I knew I had to blog about this because I left the store like I needed to talk to someone about it. Or at least vent about it a little.

I went shopping today for professional black dress shoes I can wear with a skirt. They used to be called PUMPS. I have NO IDEA what you would call shoes like that now. So I went to a store at the Durango Mall. Your average shoe store with quite a bit of selection. I walked by the flip flops, (too casual) I walked by the strappy shoes, too summery, I walked over to where they might have "dress shoes" for women.

Now let me preface this by saying, I love to wear heels. I am 5'1" so anytime I can be a couple inches taller to reach an "average" height I am giddy. However, the "dress" section of this store that contained shoes with heels blew my mind. Yes, they had appropriate dress shoes.. which were probably 2 inch heels. The selection was few.. maybe 3 pairs of shoes that first of all looked cute and second of all were comfortable. (I could write a whole other blog about shoe comfort later ;)

Anyway, the other aisle where all the other dress shoes were had shoes that I truly believe should ONLY be sold at Fredrick of Hollywood or some store in the red light district of Amsterdam. Holy Moly! Am I getting old or are stilleto heels just commonplace in the year 2010. First of all, there is no way on God's green earth I am walking up on stage at church in stilleto heels with my professional suit and skirt. NO WAY. But seriously it was the majority of the selection! Which begs the question. Can shoes be too sexy? I think I am really getting old.

I did finally find a pair after searching high and low. I swear maybe it's my age... I can't buy shoes that make me look like I am trying to be 22 and I can't buy shoes that my Grandmother would wear, but seriously I think the shoe companies are missing a market of women who would buy more shoes if they created styles that were a little more practical and fabulous.

Enough said, Any thoughts on this? Thought I'd attach a new pic of the family. All 5 of us. We had them taken in Iowa and when I look at them I think my family looks beautiful, but they make me want to go to the gym and lift weights. :) I know Jill... Baby steps... baby steps...
1

3 comments:

Jill said...

I was wondering where you had that picture taken. It's a beautiful one of your beautiful family.

As for baby steps you're doing it. :)

And as for heels...yes, I find it's way stinking hard to find a really good, sensible, not old-lady looking pair of cute heels. Ones you can actually walk like a normal person in. It cracks me up seeing ladies waddling in heels just to look "hot". Not.

You'll do amazing tomorrow I have no doubt!

Miss. Jinny said...

Hello My Sister/Friend! :)

Okay seriously I need one of those family pictures for my office ASAP! :) I love love love it and you look hot! :)

As for baby steps remember slow and steady wins the race! :) I love you! :)

And as for the heels situation I am in full agreement! I am searching for fancy dress shoes as well today and I pray that I have some luck! :) But no hot shoes for me just fabulous and comfortable! :)

I am praying for you today and I know that God is going to speak through you in a huge way, so that the church will hear what a need there is to minister to the hearts of these precious little ones! I love you bunches! :)

Andy and Cari said...

I had to laugh at the heels story. I come from a long line of women who consider heels,any size,any shape, any color as common place as underwear...if you think I am joking... my mother wears heels so often she has been seen triming bushes in them and running after run-away dogs in them too... my grandmother still sports 4 inch heels on special occasions and saves the lesser heights, the 3 and 2 inch veriety, for everyday use. I am more of a flat kinda girl,but I will sport a fancy heel on occasion... and i blend right in with women of my family. I do understand this is not normal and fairly crazy...but family lines are not choices...:)