Sunday, September 28, 2008

Run Forrest Run!


Well, today is an amazing day. I have reached a "first" at 36 years old. I have reached a "first" with the crazy but "good for you" sport of running. I recently ran/walked a 5K run in Durango. I did it with some of the most encouraging loving people I know. Everyone from my church. Now, please keep in mind I am not a runner by any means.


In gym class in school, my first introduction to running. I was told to sprint (which my very short legs do not do very fast) or to run fast around a track for a mile or two. It always seemed to me that goal was to be the first person to cross the finish line so I was always racing to catch the first person. What my gym teacher never told me was about something called a "personal pace."


A friend of my at the race told me once you find YOUR personal "pace" you could run forever. So as I've hopped on many a treadmill, I would run so hard and fast I thought my lungs might burst. So, as a result I would have to walk. It kind of bummed me out because I think it looks like fun to run and I am in awe of people who can run fast for long periods of time. The body working together to do such an amazing thing blows my mind... and the endorphines... well they are a thumbs up from Jesus for sure!


So, today I did it. I hopped on the treadmill. And ran at a slow but steady pace. My legs loved me, my lungs did not burn, my blood was pumping and I was having blast. I could not believe after about seven minutes or so I thought for sure I could run forever. It was SO COOL!


Then I started thinking about applying this to my life. How often do I try to run at someone else's pace? How often am I looking ahead to see who looks to me like they are "ahead" of me? I wonder how much more joy and peace I would have if I a took things at my own pace lived my life that way. God did not intend for me to look around. He intended for me keep my "eyes up." Yeah God!!


Jeremiah 29:11-13For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

2 comments:

Jo said...

And to thank God made us all with that pace; and He loves that we are all running at different paces. Love you girl

Miss. Jinny said...

your picture made me laugh lol! I love lol and so does Mark you should ask him lol! JK!