Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Facing our Giants...

I read this book a while back by Max Lucado called "Facing your Giants." It was mostly a book about the life of David. It was refreshing to me that David... a man after God's heart was a total mess up. He had some of the most amazing and awesome experiences in life, he was a hero with Goliath, he was made a king, he had some amazing friends.... but he had low points too, he was a murderer, he sought after Bathesheba a married woman, he wandered throught the desert when his brother was trying to kill him. He had relationship issues and tough stuff to deal with.

I have seen the mountaintops as well, been blessed totally by God and had a great life. I have a great husband, awesome friends, beautiful kids. In it all, I am totally grateful and excited about each new day. But what do I do when I am in the tough spots? What do I do when it get's hard? Am I after God's own heart in the good bad AND ugly?

Just last week Billy was diagnosed with diabetes. It came as such a shock to me because my husband has been a pillar of health in this family. We filled out application papers to adopt a child from China and when we filled out the medical stuff, I even said to Billy... we look pretty good on paper. We laughed about it because our whole lives we have never had any real medical conditions to think about. I prayed and asked God to give me peace... which lasted 24 hours. The second day of our news before we got some more information via blood tests, I started to panic. Can I just say for a minute that fear sucks? It does. But it crept into my brain like a little weasel. I started to think about the longevity of Bill's life, what he/we could have done better to prevent this, my kids and their health, etc. I kept asking God to give me wisdom. But I really believe after a lot of prayer that God allowed this to happen for a variety of reasons. He allowed me to see the important role my husband plays in this family of ours. He allowed me to spend extra time preparing healthy meals and healthy choices for my family, he allowed my husband and I to team together to work through whatever he will need to maintain a healthy and thriving lifestyle living with diabetes. It has brought us closer together as we get focused on new eating habits. I asked people to pray for me and when that happened, the fear left. The fear is gone every day is a new day and I am excited to see what's next. This is one giant I will not face alone... fear is no match for my God. With one word... He can make the mountains bow down. Thanks God for helping me face my Giants.

2 comments:

Jo said...

All I can say is amen sister. Fear; can always get the best of us in any situation; but you are right we never alone God is always with us. When fear creeps in I usually find myself just repeating over and over; "If God is for me who can be against me; and God is for me!"

Mom Of Many said...

Wasn't it gracious of God to have allowed you to read "Facing the Giants" just prior to Billy's diagnosis?

You are definitely facing a giant but you are a CHAMPION and this will prove to be another place that, when looking back on your life, you say, "Wow, thank you Lord for that "giant" time when I came to know you more and depend on you completely!"

We love you guys and are so thankful that God's protection is so evident for Billy-boy! We got your back and are praying with passion for your family!

You guys rock!!