Monday, October 6, 2008

Elected officials... can we get some better ones?


Wisdom is important. Wisdom about a lot of things. The thing I would like to say I am pursuing mostly in terms of wisdom is my own personal relationship with Jesus who died for me and a God who loves me. It is the thing I am studying the hardest. When I put my trust and my life in front of the God who created me, it is my best decision.


But to make an informed and confident exciting choice in the elections lately really makes me sad. I am beginning to read more, search more and gain more information about the candidates. I have to weed through truth and opinion. I talk to many people about all of their emotional reasons for voting for either one. I know who I am going to vote for, I really want to be well informed though.


In the past, I believe that media and mass communication had integrity and ethic. I believe we don't have it anymore. Sensationalism and whatever makes the most money has won the battle when it comes to media. Sex sells, then write about it...gossip sells, then tell everyone... people's mistakes brings home the bacon... then exploit them. Who cares what the ramifications of those decisions are... we're making money.


I was a Mass Communication major in college I have a B.A in that respect... and the thing I remember the most about what I was taught is that what you "report" in a mass context must be truthful, based on fact (not rumor) and have a ton of evidence to support your articles. Get the facts and write about them. End of story. I am by no means saying the media should not print things that we should know about upcoming elected presidential candidates. I think we should know some of the things that aren't so pretty, but I think they should print them in an unbaised manner followed by their supporting evidence. I see what they report... and it's not always unbiased or supported by anything but rhetoric and fancy talk.


The past couple of elections I have not been fueled or excited to go to the polls. I am honored that we get to vote for our president. I am honored I live in a country where we have that freedom. I am happy we have our military in place who will stand up for those very specific rights and our forefathers decisions were based on religious freedom.


But I would really like one day to go to the polls with two candidates fighting for the presidency... in which I am proud of both of them. Whether they were Democrat or Republican... they were good people. Not proud in a pat in the back kind of way, but when you look at their lives, they are a mix of the left and the right. They value life, they don't "play God" and judge others, they've worked hard, they value families. They love their spouses and families and they can give credibility to politics again. They are a straight shooter. They don't mess around. I would like someone who REALLY is looking out for this awesome country we live in... but has expectatins of us as well. I want someone who will make positive prayerful decisions that protect our freedoms... peace out friends...


2 comments:

Jill said...

Let me know when that happens. I'm all for it! Good essay friend!

Megan said...

I appreciate your honesty and neutrality in this post! It's refreshing.