Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My husband Billy...


A long time ago, before there were motor vehicles...and telephones and electricity Billy and I met on a country road near an apple orchard(just kidding). We actually met in a small town bar. :)


This October 28, 2008, Bill and I will be married 8 years. He was a mystery boy who just dropped into Winona Minnesota. I was in my 4th year of college... having bartended the entire time with a bunch of the guys on Bill's softball team. He walked in one early evening when I was hanging out with some of my girlfriends, not knowing at that time what a "God moment" was, it is the only way I can describe the first time I saw him. Winona Minnesota is a small town with a whole bunch of churches and about 2x's the amount of small bars. Being a bartender in a popluar bar with cheap beer, I knew everyone in town. If I didn't know people's names I knew someone they knew. But on the day he walked into the bar, he stood out so predominantly from everyone else. It was almost like the background around him became fuzzy and Billy was totally in focus. He had super blonde hair after playing softball most of the summer, very tan and stunning to me. He was definately "prince" material. I remember saying to my friend... who is THAT GUY? Man is he cute! I've never been one to be passive or quiet (for those who know me well) , so my friends and I immediately welcomed him, sat and chatted with him to get the low down on who he was where he was from and what the heck he was doing in Winona. He told me his name was Bill... and I said... "Oh... Billy." He said, "No. My name is Bill." I told him he had to be kidding the fact he was from a small town of one thousand people in Iowa he had white blonde hair and a farmer tan... he was totally Billy to me. My friend Billy.


What I loved about him was how laid back and non "dramatic" he was. He answered questions truthfully, there was much truth in his eyes and peace to his nature. I was really happy to get to know him and found being with him a ton of fun. Our first official "date" we made some steaks on a little grill at his house. He tells me now that he knew he "dug" me when he decided to go buy himself some new silverware and plates so we could eat on nice dinnerware. How sweet! We also went to the apple festival in LaCrosse Wisconsin where he bought me a bucket of beer (very loving expression in Wisconsin) it was a blast. But the moment I really knew I was "in" with Bill was when he let me drive his prized light blue 1970 something Chevy Nova. We began what I can call a long friendship, courtship and a really fun wedding/reception.


When I look back on how God orchestrated our meeting and our relationship, I am blown away. Every anniversary Billy and I have we like to look back at our life and talk about all we have accomplished together. We glory in the fact that we are a team. No matter what life throws at us, no matter what our mistakes are throughout the year, we put them in the past, thank God for all we have done and were blessed with and look forward to another year as each other's best friend and team mate. I could not think of anyone else on this planet who understands me more than my husband, who is more patient and understanding. He works hard and understands the balance between work and family. I am so glad I met him, I am so glad he walked in that bar and came to Winona on a whim. I am so glad God sent him to me to be my husband. I can't wait for the next 8 years and what we have to look forward together. Thanks Billy. I love you.


2 comments:

Jill said...

Very sweet Jen. Billy's an awesome guy and you two together are perfect. You will make it through this season of your life and will have grown closer and more in love I just know it! Congratulations on 8 years!!!

Megan said...

I love it! 8 years! Benjie and I are celebrating our 3 year anniversary today...hooray for October weddings :) Congratulations to you guys....I love Jesus and his awesome orchestration of people's lives.