Monday, March 22, 2010

A little bit of his love







I posted a couple weeks ago how I was really wanting to understand God's love. What does it look like? How can I feel it? Can I touch it? How is it speaking to my heart and the spirit inside of me?

As I pray about it and love God in the process. I am seeing his love in so many small ways. Things I would have brushed off as cute or sweet or joyful, I now see God in it all. One of the major ways God is showing his love to me and I think for Him it just might be the best way for him to operate is by my relationships. I don't believe for one second God puts someone in your life just as a placeholder. Experiencing the love of God happens when we open ourselves up to the people he puts in our lives.

I have some of the best friends on the planet. I have known most of these people for at the most four years. They are warm, they are loving, they love God, they are obedient to the quiet way he whispers to their heart. For a long time I perceived them as a good example to me of what a Christian should look like. They are people I want to be like. There are things that I see in them that I want more than I can stand. Some of my friends have patience galore, some of them are so wise, some of them are financially blessed, but just give and give. They are constantly looking for ways to give to others. Some of them have so much faith.. it seems like "worry" is a foreign concept to them. Some of them just want to travel and go on missions and give and give to needy people. Some of them throw the best parties with the best food. Some of them are just really good at listening. Are they perfect? Uh... no. But the beautiful things I notice in all of them is so cool.

But lately, God is giving me new eyes to see how important my relationships are in my life and in him showing me his love. Relationships are elevated. Jesus didn't say, "YO...now that you know about me and what I have for you and all I have taught you, go hang out by yourself and worry about yourself and feel sorry for yourself and don't tell anyone the things that are going on in your life... keep all of it to yourself and focus inward." NO HE DIDN'T. He said... go and tell others about my love. Pray for people, heal people in my name, love your neighbor, love children, take care of widows and orphans. And how does it all get accomplished?

Through relationships. Through being honest, through accountablility, through laughter, tears, hugs, hurt, talks, food.

God gives me billboards (because I need them) this week's billboard is Jen... get off your duff... stop worrying about everything and get out there and love my children, love everyone I love. Show it to them. Be nice to them. Give them grace. Because my grace is sufficient for you. Forgive them. And watch how much I love you...experience my love through them.

Again... if there is one thing I can count on in this life it is my awesome gasp giving mountain moving awe inspiring God of the universe who is showing me his love.

No comments: