Sunday, August 2, 2009

Raised up in the 80's

If you knew me, you'd know that I grew up in the midwest, that my favorite movies growing up were Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Gremlins, Goonies, E.T. etc etc. One of my favorite outfits growing up was a denim mini skirt I wore (bleached) with neon green tights and a HUGE white tshirt with BIG PINK LETTERS all over it. I am a child of the 80's and I loved it. I graduated from HS in 1989. I remember going to the first "Express" clothing store at the mall. My babysitter worked there. It was the coolest of the cool. Let's put it this way, " I wore my sunglasses at night." If you understand that statement and it makes sense to you.. You too... were a child of the 80's.
Express was an 80's "punk" kind of store...but 80's punk was not peircings.. and wearing black death and doom. It was to mix neon with anything denim. It was bleaching and pinning denim. It was TONS of accessories. Lots of bracelets, hair accessories, tights under fishnet neon stockings, BIG hair, big earrings and tons of hair spray. Colorful makeup was cool too.. if you were really creative. I opted for blue eyeliner and a little blush and lipgloss.
In 7th grade I lip sync'ed Girls Just Wanna have Fun by Cyndi Lauper at a talent show. It sounds crazy but it was one of those moments I'll never forget. Goofy me... dressed as Cyndi Lauper... ran out into the audience... patted one of our bald teachers on the head and performed. I received a standing ovation at that talent show... it was the coolest feeling in the world. I had a blast in the 80's.
In 6th grade I asked the teacher if I could take the tape recorder from our teacher's classroom out to the playground with me. I played the Cyndi Lauper song Girls just wanna have fun... cranked up on this little tape recorder and danced around the playground. It was my favorite song, I would play it over and over and over. I'm nostalgic today about the 80's and just thought I'd share. Have a great week friends!









3 comments:

Sommer said...

Jen you are so much fun! I only wish I could have seen you playing the part at your talent show. As I was reading your post I had the best idea. I think we should have a talent show for the River Kids ministry! It could be a lot of fun. But the cherry on top will be if you would repeat your wildly successful gig again costume and all. I am serious! It would be too much fun. Sommer:)

Andy and Cari said...

Pretty in Pink was on AMC this morning. Ahh, Molly R., where have you gone?
Maybe you anf Grace can give yourself high, teased up bangs and knot your extra large T-sirts up at the side and do the electric slide...give her a glimpsed of the Jen of the past!

Jeanette Hohnke said...

She was beautiful and sparkled!.. Still is and still does.