Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Traditions



I love traditions. I love when a family does something 'cause that's just what we do in our family.' I love it. It is what makes a family a family. It is one of the first things you learn about your spouse. The traditions of a family. You can either keep them going or change them or tweak them but having them is always so much fun. Here are a couple of ours... and a couple I'd love to try in years to come.


1. Making Gingerbread houses (Jinny started this with my kids last year and they LOVE it)

2. Picking out and putting up the Christmas tree. Grace seems to be the "pro" at the perfect tree. This year I was wrangling Josie and keeping her warm while we shopped, but she found a beautiful tree that is perfect for our house.

3. Stockings. In MY family we had St. NICK that came on December 5th and filled our stockings... Santa came on the 24th. We never questioned it because if we didn't BELIEVE.. he wouldn't come. And MAN did we want him to COME TO OUR HOUSE! :) We hang and fill stockings on Christmas Eve.

4. Monkey Bread on Christmas Day... it is a gooey mass of deliciousness on Christmas Day that my husband makes for us.

5. Where is Jesus? The nativity is put out before Christmas. However Jesus is not in the manger until Christmas Day. I used to love to come and look at the manger in oour house on Christmas Day. To see the cute little baby Jesus.

6. Watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation... a tradition in my family. More appropriate for older kids. Our kids are too young to find it funny. Home ALONE is a good one for them now. Also another great Christmas movie.

7. Christmas performance at church, Christmas program at school, Giving tree at school.
8. The Roger Whittaker Christmas music... as well as the Muppets Christmas. LOVE THEM BOTH.

FUTURE THOUGHTS...

I would love to do the following things in the future:

1. Serve at a soup kitchen
2. Mission Trip
3. Birthday party for Jesus.(we are doing this at church on the 19th)
4. Get a forest license and chop down our own tree.

Christmas is GRAND... isn't it?

3 comments:

Andy and Cari said...

we would so watch themuppet christmas movie whileputting up the tree every year. My parents still yell "watch out for the icy patch" when it isicy and I sing all the songs to Andy every year... when he scowls at how busy our schedule is I sing "there goes mr.humbug, there goes mr. grim... if they gave a prize for being mean the winner would be him." it usually gets a smile!

Kimberly Beach said...

My dad once wrote a list of What I love About Christmas. I framed it. I treasure it. Do this for your kids!

Miss. Jinny said...

Oh I love that you guys did the gingerbread house again how much it means to me! :) I am sad I was not there to do it with them again this year but yours looks amazing lol! :) I also love all your other traditions what fun! :) I love Christmas and I love you!!! ;)